Secondary Education for Licensed teachers, M.A.
Summer/Fall Semesters: February 1 for best consideration. Applications will continue to be reviewed.
Spring Semester: September 1 for best consideration. Applications will continue to be reviewed.
Degree Program: Secondary Education
Degree: M.A. in Secondary Education, Licensed Teachers
Program Code: MA-SED
Department: Teacher Education, Educational Leadership & Policy
Program: Secondary Education
Apply to a Teacher Education, Educational Leadership & Policy Department Degree Program
To apply for admissions, you should:
1) Contact a faculty advisor in your content area to set up an appointment. Bring your undergraduate transcripts to the meeting and the faculty advisor will analyze your transcripts and plan your coursework with you.
2) Complete the Application Requirements online at www.unm.edu/apply
Note: All applications must be received by the application deadline date. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Please see the Specific Application Instructions under Forms and Resources for additional information.
Our M.A. in Secondary Education for Licensed Teachers will help you advance to Level II or the New Mexico Three-Tiered Teacher Licensure System. In our program you will take 15 hours of core courses in areas of research, diversity, curriculum development, advanced instructional strategies and a Masters Capstone seminar at the end of the program.
You will also be able to explore one area of study through 18 hours of an emphasis area that you will choose. You may take courses to add a new endorsement, strengthen your teaching knowledge and skills in your current teaching area, investigate areas of teacher leadership, study your own teaching or learn how to impact the lives of students beyond your classroom. All courses will help you improve in your ability to assess your practice for student learning and other skills that will help you be prepared to complete the Professional Development Dossier for licensure advancement.
Steps to M.A. in Secondary Education for Licensed Teachers
1. Application for the Program
- Make an appointment to see a Secondary Education Faculty Advisor.
- After discussing the Program of Studies Guide with your advisor, choose Plan I (with thesis) or Plan II (with comprehensive examination).
- Submit your application to Graduate Studies and the Department by applying at www.unm.edu/apply
- Satisfy all university requirements for graduate admissions, including but not limited to the required GPA.
- After admission, continue to see your Academic Advisor regularly each semester to document your progress on the Advisement Form.
3. Completion of Program of Studies
- The semester before you intend to graduate, complete the formal Program of Studies Form with guidance and obtain approval of your Secondary Education Faculty Advisor.
- Turn in the Program of Studies Form to the Department of Teacher Education, Educational Leadership & Policy Department. Department staff will submit your Program of Studies to the Office of Graduate Studies after obtaining all required College of Education signatures.
4. Complete the M.A. Degree Program
- Complete all degree requirements for the Master’s Core and Emphasis Area Courses with at least a 3.0 GPA within 7 years after admission to the program.
- Successfully complete the comprehensive master’s examination (Plan II) or a master’s thesis (Plan I).