Apply to a COE Graduate Program
General Eligibility Criteria
Must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or its equivalent in another country
- In general applicants must present a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (B) or its equivalent in their last two undergraduate years and in their major field. GPA criteria may vary by program.
- Must indicate all academic institutions they have previously attended on their applications. Failure to disclose any previous college attendance or any other misrepresentation of the record may result in disciplinary action, including revocation of admission to the University.
- Ordinarily, the minimum undergraduate prerequisite is 12 semester hours of upper division course work (300-level courses or higher) in the major field to which the student is applying, or in cognate areas.
Application and Admissions Process
Contact or meet with a faculty member from the program in which you are applying, preferably a faculty member who represents your area of interest. Obtain an application packet from the program to which you are applying.
Submit an application packet to the UNM Admissions Office, which shall contain the following items:
- A UNM application for admission.
- Residency Form.
- $50.00 check made out to UNM or a major credit card if applying online.
- An original, official, sealed transcript from each college or university you have attended.
Required application materials may vary by program; please see program specific information, which you can link to from the departments and programs web page.
Please check with individual programs, since application deadlines vary by program.
Application procedures should be started well in advance of the decision deadlines for each semester to allow ample time for materials to be received and reviewed. Incomplete files will not be reviewed until the next semester if past the deadline; and, therefore, new applications will need to be submitted reflecting the next semester.
Applicants will be notified of admission decisions by letters from both the UNM Admissions Office and your program office.