Faculty and Staff
Our faculty members exhibit professionalism, passion and a commitment to education. But their unparalleled dedication goes beyond teaching and research. It extends to the community where they contribute to the intellectual and cultural life in New Mexico by sharing their talents and time.
The outreach and advocacy they provide is especially critical given their expertise in high need areas and the educational challenges that the state faces. You’ll find our faculty running professional development seminars for teachers, hosting summer institutes on campus, acting as resources for local schools and serving on local, state and national committees in their fields of expertise. Students aren’t sidelined either—they are always encouraged to participate in outreach efforts, academic and non-academic settings, creativity, language learning, language retention, bilingualism, literacy—and then use what they learn to shape educational policy.
Special Education Department Faculty by Program
- Ruth Luckasson (Distinguished Professor, Special Education; Chair, Special Education Department)
- Lance Alarcon (Assistant Professor)
- Mary Brindle (Assistant Professor)
- Margaret Collier (Associate Professor)
- Susan Copeland (Professor)
- Megan Griffin (Assistant Professor)
- Erin Jarry (Lecturer III)
- Ruth Luckasson (Distinguished Professor)
- Megan Martins (Lecturer III)
- Veronica Moore (Lecturer III)
- Yen Pham (Assistant Professor)
- Cathy (Huaquing) Qi (Professor)
- Julia Scherba de Valenzuela (Associate Professor)
- Loretta Serna (Professor)
- Clare Stott (Lecturer III)
- Melanie Brawley-Wigren (Lecturer III)
- Alison Zagona (Assistant Professor)
Audrea N. Winslow
Hokona-Zuni, Room 106
Audrea oversees the daily administrative functions of the department office and supervises the staff. She assists with development and management of the operating budget. She manages faculty, part-time instructor, and teaching assistant contracts. She serves as department liaison to central offices of the college and university.
Special Education Graduate Programs Coordinator
Suzie assists students, departmental staff, and faculty of university application process, comprehensive exam applications, graduation requirements and policies and responds to inquiries, researches and resolves problems. She also provides academic consulting services to current students, former students, potential students, faculty, and staff.