MS in Physical Education
Application DeadlinesFall Semester: priority deadline March 1st
- final deadline August 1st
Spring Semester: priority deadline November 1
- final deadline December 15th
Summer Semester: priority deadline April 1
- final deadline May 1st
International Students Deadlines
Fall Semester: March 1
Spring Semester: August 1
Summer Semester: January 1
There are currently three tracks available in the M.S. program:
- General Sport Administration
- Emphasis in Coaching
- Sport Administration with Administrative Licensure - For those who wish to go into public school administration.
Entrance information concerning admission and program requirements is provided in the University of New Mexico Graduate bulletin. In addition, the Department of Health, Exercise and Sports Sciences has developed a guide to be used by all department graduate students to ensure that all graduate requirements are satisfied at the appropriate times. The criteria for admission to the graduate programs in Sport Administration include the following:
- Bachelor's degree for M.S. program
- GPA in most recent degree of 3.0 or better.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should be addressed to the Director; Graduate Programs in Sport Administration, Department of Health, Exercise and Sports Sciences. Submit online at unm.edu/apply.
- Letter of intent. This should consist of a written statement of career goals and area of interest in Sport Administration.
- A completed online application form including official transcripts from all previously attended institutions.
- Professional Resume.
Submitting Your Application and Documents
Graduate applications are now submitted online at unm.edu/apply. All required documents and transcripts are submitted through the online application.
Concentration in Sport Administration
Non-thesis: 36 credit hours minimum OR Thesis: 30 credit hours plus; 6 thesis hours)
45 cr. hr. required of students pursuing M.S. plus Administrative Licensure
After completion of coursework, a written comprehensive exam is required.
Required Core Courses: (Minimum 27 credit hours)
- PEP 507 Research Design
- PEP 540 Sport Sociology
- PEP 541 Ethics in Sport and Fitness
- PEP 545 Sport Leadership
- PEP 547 Sport Marketing and Promotion
- PEP 548 Financing Sport
- PEP 561 Risk Management in Sport
- PEP 565 Legal Aspects of Sport
- Internship (3 hours) or
- Thesis (6 hours)
Additional courses offered for completion of the degree requirements: 6 - 9 credit hours from following list or other courses approved by advisor:
- Introduction to Sport Administration
- Administration of Interscholastic Athletics
- Technological Applications in Sport
- Organizational Theory in Sport
- Administration of Sport Personnel
- Sport Event Management
- Consumer Behavior
- Principles of Coaching
- Women in Sport
- Sport Facilities Planning & Construction
- Governance of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Sport Psychology I
- Sport Psychology II
- Diversity in Sport and Physical Activity
- The Business of Professional Sports
- Sports Property Development and Sales
- Seminar in Sport Research
- Advanced Field Experience
- Directed Readings
- Writing for Professional Publication
- Grant Writing